Here at Lynn Andres we believe in fitness of course. But we also believe in eating chocolate. So when Penang's favourite fitness and health guru Gosia Cano told us we could do both. We said... "Show me!". Lol.
Take it away Gosia!
You might be thinking you have stumbled upon a wrong blog: a post about triple chocolate cupcakes in a fitness blog? Why, yes!
Let's be honest; everyone needs a real treat once in a while and sometimes a chocolate flavoured, super healthy protein bar just doesn't cut it. You don't need to eat by the rules 100% of the time; let loose, live a little, enjoy and eat chocolate! In those instances, triple chocolate cupcakes are the answer to your chocolate blues! These are also awesome to serve at your kids' birthday party. Having four kids and having attended many birthday parties, I find the food that is served at kids' parties is mostly junk food and cupcakes are the worst offenders! The majority of those store-bought treats are full of trans-fats, preservatives, artificial flavours, colours and SUGAR!!! ARGGHH! My kids used to come back from those parties bouncing off the walls. I said they used to, because since they have tasted my homemade treats, they rarely eat these at parties. And naturally, they ask me to bake treats for their own birthday parties.
Now to the good stuff!
Triple chocolate cupcakes
Here is the recipe from the latest party: Triple Chocolate Cupcakes (it's what my daughter requested for her 10th birthday party):
Cupcakes (one dozen):
- 2 cups organic pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cooking coconut milk (the thick one) mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 dark chocolate chips
- 125g (about 1/2 cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tbsp cooking coconut milk
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Method of preparation:
- Preheat oven to 375°F or 190ºC and prepare your baking tray: grease it with some coconut oil or use the paper muffin tray liners.
- Now you are ready to beat the eggs, add sugar and coconut oil and make a nice creamy mixture using a mixer or in case you would like an extra arm workout, using a whisk.
- Keep mixing, add coconut milk, water and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients including flour (sift it if possible to make it more fluffy), cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the beautifully fragrant coconut/eggy/sugary concoction continuing to mix all the components throughly until smooth.
- Lastly, add the chocolate chips but please make sure every single one of them ends up in the cupcake mixture and not your mouth. Spoon the chocolaty mixture into your prepared baking tray and bake the cupcakes for 22-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, work on the frosting. Cream the butter and sugar, add cocoa powder and coconut milk. If you live in a hot part of the world like I do or if it's summer time and you don't have your air-con blasting, place the frosting in the fridge until your cupcakes are baked and cooled off. Now it's your time to shine and get creative with decorating the cupcakes. Or you can leave this job for your kids to accomplish. Just a word of warning here: supervise your kids that most of the frosting actually ends up on top of the cupcakes!
Happy birthday! Make a wish and enjoy Triple Chocolate Cupcakes. No guilt, no regret! Well, in case some guilt feelings do arise, you know where to find my fitness videos.